Saturday, May 21, 2005

don't ever say it's Nando's


OPORTO. Shop 19-21, Level 1 QV2 210 Lonsdale St

Rated 'the fastest growing food franchise in Australia' by BRW, Oporto is, well, a fast food franchise.
I think it started off from Sydney(Bondi Burger. Hint hint?). Unfortunately, Melbourne city has got only one Oporto in QV foodcourt, and another one along Chapel St.
And like any fast food franchise, they'll claim their food is better than others. In this case, Oporto says their food are 'fresh not frozen, grilled not fried'. 007 kind of fast food.
And their tagline is ' legendary sauce with irresistable force'. Oooooh wow. Sounds like THE food for Star Wars.
The irony is, they still serve you big chunky crispy chips. Along with carbonated soft drinks I might add.
I've only tried the grilled chicken once in Sydney last November. If I remember right, a whole chicken, a jumbo fries, and a 1.25L soft drinks cost around $19.00. So it's nearly 10 dollars per person if you share it among two.
To say the least it was good. I know, I know, you're gonna ask me: So it's like Nando's, right?
Well, the sauce is different. Firstly, all you need to do is to decide if you want chili sauce. No mild or hot or extra hot peri peri sauce to screw your minds up. Secondly, it's cheaper and faster. Compared to Nando's, their main attraction would be burgers instead of chicken. Though I've yet to try their Bondi Burger or Otropo Burger, which looks really appetizing on their website.

Quality: 6(hey, it's fast food) Service: 7.5 Price:7 Variety 6.5
Score: 6.75

For a fast food restaurant, I think it's pretty good. Give it a try anyway since it's exclusively an Aussie thing.