Sunday, May 22, 2005

don't ever say it tastes like eggplants


CAFE NOTTURNO. 177-179 Lygon Street. Carlton.

My friends and I call it Notto's.
They offer food which any restaurant along Lygon Street would offer: Pizza, Pasta, Cakes, Gelato...
ABSOLUTE must try: Eggplant chips.
I've never seen it anywhere else. Then again, I might be ignorant. Anyway, the eggplants are sliced and deep friend, covered with their secret batter. It's so good it makes me forget that I hate eggplants. The best snack I've had in Melbourne.
Another appetizer that is satisfactory is the Caesar's Salad with Chicken Stripes. It is a bit pricy for $12.90, but I say it's worth sharing with a friend or two. Note: some people(like me) might find the anchovies a bit too salty.
For mains, you'd be satisfied with any of their pizza's. For pasta, I recommend the Veal Tortellini. The mushroom cream sauce just gets you hooked on for more.
One thing that I adore, is that they serve old fashioned Coke bottles. It's just a nice additional touch.
If you like dessert, do try the cakes in Notturno. Yet be aware that they'r all GIGANTIC. It will be difficult to finish a slice by your own. I'd recommend the Mars Bars Cake.
They do serve gelato, but then again, CASA DE GELATO is just five shops away. So save it and walk next door.
The put off of Notto's will be their service. Most of the time you'd have to wait for at least 20 minutes as they're always full.
The price is how much you normally get charged for eating in Lygon. But I'm definitely sure you'll find satisfactory in a meal for at most $15 in Notturno.

Quality: 9 Service: 6.5 Value: 8 Variety: 8.5
Score: 8