Monday, May 23, 2005

don't ever say it's really cheap


MAXIM'S. Near corner of Russell Street and Little Bourke Street.

Maxim's is a Chinese bakery.
You get egg tarts, melon cake, BBQ pork bun, Chinese sausage bun etc. instead of apple danish or pineapple tarts or chesse sticks.
One item would cost from $1 to $2.
Honestly, I think it's a wee bit over rated. It's popular because it is located at the heart of Chinatown.
Yet I have to admit, it's the only place you can get a proper hard crusted egg tarts unless if you want to go all the way to Boxhill.
(Note that I wrote 'hard crusted'.)
The BBQ pork bun is so-so.
I've also tried the ham & egg bun. That was impressive. I'd actually rate the ham & egg higher than their egg tarts.
I wouldn't take this place as a proper meal place. Probably just snacking. You know, taking a break from Uni or work. As a dessert after meal. Taking away for breakfast the next day.
If you really think about it. It's quite an expensive snacking. let's say you spend an average of $1.30 on one item. All you need is 5 items and you'll be spending $6.50, which is equivalent to a proper rice/noodle dish in Chinatown.So that's a big stab in value I say.

Quality: 7 Service: 7 Value 5.5 Variety: 8
Score: 6.8