Tuesday, May 31, 2005

don't ever compare it to the ones along Lygon


LIX GELATO. Corner of Swanston and La Trobe Street.

It's new, this gelati shop.
Although located at the corner of Melbourne Central, I don't think it is any more popular than the street drummer across the road.
Too greedy I say. They sell gelati, coffee and smoothies. And they don't even have the space for it.
I did not have many choices. I'd say less than 20.
The price is a whopping $4.50 for a single cone. If you want a waffle cone, it's $5. The most expensive gelati I've ever had.
Obviously Lix's gelati is half cold style. Which means they are all mixed with whipped cream to make it tastes like mousse.
I wasn't a big fan. Sure it tastes good at the beginning, but in the end my toungue can only taste milk and sugar.
Well, they do have special flavours as Toblerone, Cadbury Dream and French Vanilla. But I tried Bacio, Ferrero Roche and Lime.
As I said, in the end I couldn't taste the difference between bacio and roche. The Lime, however, was fantastic. It was as sour as eating an actual lime. The flavour stayed for long.
I was impressed.
Overall, it's really not that big a deal. Unless you have an intense craving for gelati in the city. Or else it's always better to take a longer journey to Lygon.

Quality: 6.5 Service: - Value: 5.5 Variety: 6.5
Score: 6.2

Note: I am a sorbetto person. Therefore people who enjoys fredo gelato might actually like Lix. Sorry, food is as subjective as arts.