Thursday, May 26, 2005

don't ever go there alone


MESHIYA RESTAURANT. 200 Lonsdale Street.

Ok. There's a catch to this review.
I went to Meshiya with 14 other people. We told the manager that we are willing to pay $20 per person and if they could provide us a set dinner, which they did.
So if you're going alone or in a smaller group, I have to say it's difiicult to measure with this review.
Anyway, as an introduction, Meshiya is a part of QV. It's along Lonsdale Street and apparently it's a sister restaurant to Shoya, a more exclusive and expensive restaurant in Chinatown.
It's quite new, so the interior is grey in colour and furnished with designer's chair. Unfortunately we were not served by Japanese.
Yet, they play awesome Jazz music through the radio.
We started with salad in a sweet dressing with sesame. The saltiness was just right. No complaints about the freshness.
The killer appetizer would be the sashimi. I'm always reluctant to try it as I'm senstive to the fishy taste of raw fish.
Yet I found the sashimi alright. The taste wasn't too strong, except maybe for the tuna. The salmon and the bream were great that they didn't taste like normal crap sashimi at all.
Then came the Tempura plate. It was an assorted plate of prawn, brocolli, lotus root, fish and eggplant Tempura.
The brocolli, lotus root and prawn were fabulous. The Tempura batter wasn't thick nor soggy nor greasy. Just nice.
The final dish we had was chicken and egg roll in Teriyaki sauce, accompanied with Japanese fried rice.
All I can say was it was freshly made. The Teriyaki sauce was thick and substancial. Although I did choke on the pepper of the fried rice and I feel mighty thirsty now. MSG maybe?
Overall, I enjoyed my meal very much. No eyebrows were raised. There was nothing I was unhappy about.
Maybe it was because I was with 13 Japanese girls, we got good service. I'll try going there again just with guys. Let's see if there's any difference.

Quality: 9 Service: 8 Value:10 Variety: 9
Score: 9

Note: The above score only applies when you go in a big group of 15. It does not apply to ala carte meals.