Wednesday, June 08, 2005

don't ever expect to relax


PHO BO GA MEKONG VIETNAM. 241 Swanston Street.

Disregard the rumours. That they reuse the soup.that they resuse the food. That they never wash the bowls. That it's really dirty in the kitchen. That people get food poison constantly.
I mean, hey unless you can give me proof that it's true, or confirm to me that other restaurants NEVER do that, I'm eating there.
Yet something I can confirm, is that Mekong is a really small restaurant. It has walls of mirror to create the illusion of space. Yet to fuck that up they've got giant photos of Jackie Chan, Samo Hung, Michael Chang etc pasted on the mirror walls.
I know it looks sleazy compared to the shops along Swanston. In fact, I'd never notice it at all if I weren't brought there.
Traffic is busy in Mekong. It's crowded and you have to elbow your neighbours while eating.
The menu is quite limited. Well, it's either noodle or rice. Well, they've got steamboat on the menu but I doubt it's popularity.
The dishes are flexible though. You can choose from a whole range of bull intestines to chicken liver to egg yolks to meat balls to chicken breasts. Or all of the above in S, M or L size.
I say don't try anything else before you try the noodles. The magic about Mekong noodles, is the soup base. I don't blame people suspecting them reusing the soup, as it's awesomely sweet and tasty, either with rice or egg noodles.
And the fried spring rolls. Whatever you do, order the chicken and prawn spring rolls! It's like, the best spring rolls I've eaten in Melbourne. Oh, and the sweet chili sauce. The sauce!
Overall, it's a great 'uni student' kind of place. Not entirely a wholesome meal but you get satisfactory.

Quality: 10 Service: 8 Value: 8 Variety: 5
Score: 7.75