Friday, June 10, 2005

don't ever order the noodle


SPICY FISH. Little Bourke Street. Next to Target.

Personally, I think Spicy Fish is a really bad name.
Why is it so difficult to get a good translation? In Chinese, if you translate literally, the shop's name is The Residence of Fish Village. It's terrible anyway, but better than Spicy Fish!
Anyhow, about the food.
My parents and I ordered Shanghai noodles, Sweet and Sour fish, fried dumplings and stir friend Kai Lan.
The fish tasted like frozen fish pieces dipped into a pre made S&S sauce. I think they use it for pork and chicken as well.
Except for the dumplings and Kai Lan, the rest are pretty crappy. Then again, the dumplings are quite greasy.
The Kai Lan was really tough but the sauce is good.
I gobbled as much as I could anyway since it's been a while since I had Chinese stir fried vegetables.
It's a well decorated restaurant. But the location just turns you off. At one side you've got pedestrians walking past you along Lt. Bourke, and at the other you've got people walking in and out from Target supermarket. All of them, staring at you.
The price is not reasonable.
I know, I know it's a chinese restaurant. But I do not think the noodles or the Kai Lan cost $11 each.
I advice against this restaurant. But then again you might have different taste in Chinese food like I do.